You may not know this, but when you tag a Facebook Friend in one of your photos, or in a comment, or status update, all the tagged person’s Face book Friends can then see, and comment on that photograph, comment or status update, even if those people are not your Facebook Friends.
This can have some serious implications for your social media privacy. You may have all your security settings at maximum privacy, and the security setting on that particular item set to Friends only, but if you tag a Friend in one of your photos, comments, or status updates, then that person’s friends can see it and comment, and copy it, and do what they want with it.
It’s kind of like practicing safe sex. You’re not just sleeping with your partner, but all the other people they have slept with too, and all the other people those people have slept with, and so on…
So, what can you do? Well, it’s simple. Don’t tag. Unless of course you don’t mind the whole world seeing what you are tagging. You can also set your privacy settings so that any of your content that your Friends tag, has to be approved by you first. While you’re at it, you could set your privacy controls so that any content Friends tag you in, has to be approved by you first.
Here’s how to do it:
- On your NewsFeed page (the one that’s not your main Profile page), click on the down arrow (upside down triangle) in the top, right-hand corner of the page, next to Home.
- Click on the Privacy Settings item.
- Look for the Timeline and Tagging item in the list.
- Click on the Edit Settings link.
- Set Who can see posts that appear on your timeline because you’ve been tagged? option to Friends (or to anything other than Public.
- Set Review posts friends tag you in before they appear on your timeline to On.
- Set Review tags friends add to your own posts on Facebook to On.
- Set Who sees tag suggestions when photos that look like you are uploaded? to No one.
- Set Allow friends to check you in with mobile Places to Off.
- Click on the Done button.
After you have done this, anytime someone tags you, you will receive a notification that will show up on your main Profile page, as a red flag next to the Activity Log item in the top right hand corner of the menu bar, under your Cover photo (and to the right of your Profile photo). You can click on the red flag then approve or not approve the tags.